Autism or Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is a neurobiological disorder of development, because its manifestation is during the first 3 years of life and lasts during the life cycle, affecting more often men than women, with a higher proportion from 4 to 1. Children are the most susceptible to dental problems, that is why parents who love their children wear them with Baja Dent is the Tijuana dentist.
Although it is not clear what causes autism, it is known that it is not a single cause, but rather it is a plurietiological disorder, in which various factors affect, such as genetic factors with higher incidence in twins, environment factors, advanced age in the parents, toxic intake during pregnancy and low birth weight.
Symptoms of Autism
• Deficiencies in communication and social interaction, evident and persistent.
• Patterns in behavior, interests or activities that are repetitive and restrictive.
• In the nursery period, that children have little interest in other children.
• Absence of symbolic games such as feeding the dolls, playing with cars as if it were real.
• Do not share your interests with others, such as pointing to something that catches your attention.
• They make little eye contact.
• Their language is literal, they do not understand jokes, metaphors or sarcastic comments.
• They have hypersensitivity to touch, smell, hearing and taste.
• Avoid physical contact
• They have little reaction to the parents’ voice, which can also be due to an auditory problem.
• Strange and self-stimulating behaviors such as rolling, walking on tiptoes, hand movements, etc.
• They do not fit or adapt easily to social dynamics.
There are other clinical manifestations that must be taken into account for the diagnosis of the disorder:
• Hyperactivity in childhood
• Hypoactivity in adolescence and adulthood
• Little tolerance for frustration
• Labile Humar
• Agitation crisis
• Epileptic seizures
• Alterations of the dream
• Eating disorders such as hyper selectivity with food
Treatments for Autism
1. ABA (Applied Behavior Analysis): improve the social behavior of people with Autism Spectrum Disorder. It must be applied individually and the family, teachers, colleagues and terapeturas must be involved.
2. DENVER (Early Start Denver Model): comprehensive intervention in the early behavior of children between 12 to 48 months who have autism. Attention opportunity, increases learning by imitation, encourages verbal and nonverbal communication, improves motor and cognitive skills.
3. PECS (Picture Exchange Communication System): communication system that helps to reinforce and support speech learning through the exchange of images. Teaches people with severe communication difficulties, a useful system to communicate. There is no minimum age to use this method.
4. TEACCH (Treatment and Education of Autistic Related Communication Handicapped Children): manages a therapeutic and educational approach, aims to prepare people with autism so they can live and work more efficiently.